Sunday, June 5, 2016

My Crazy Week: The End of an Era

So, school is finally out for the summer! I can't believe I just completed my 7th year of teaching. Wasn't I just student teaching last year??? I spent all 7 of those years in Arlington ISD. I remember when I got the call to come interview for my first teaching job. My friend, Elizabeth, had gotten a job teaching Pre-K for the new program they were starting in Arlington. She recommended me for one of the many jobs they had available. I was called for an interview immediately and hired on the spot. This was all less than a week before school started. I completely bypassed all the new teacher training and was thrown into the trenches. I was even teaching in a unique situation....in a daycare. I spent 3 wonderful years doing that. I realized it was time to move on. I tried to get into other school districts closer to where I lived, but didn't have any luck. I put my name on the internal transfer list and got a call from Sherrod. They wanted to interview me for a third grade job. I was thrilled! I loved my student teaching experience in third grade and always wanted to teach it. While I had a great interview and the staff seemed to like me, they didn't feel that I was a good fit for third grade at the time since I'd only had Pre-K experience. Little did I know that a few days later they would call me back to interview for a first grade position. I later found out that the third grade team really liked me and suggested me for that first grade spot. There I stayed for the next four years. 

I remember that first year. Oh, it was a rough one. I felt like a first year teacher all over again. But I survived, and the following three years went much smoother. Throughout those four years I would still try to get into a district closer to home, but had no such luck. I couldn't even get an interview. Until 2014. My mother-in-law's principal at the high school level took my resume to his principal's meeting and an elementary principal said he'd call me if he had any openings. I got a call that Spring. I later found out that I was just a formality interview since he had planned on hiring his student teachers anyway. 

Fast forward to this year. I set the wheels in motion around March. I petitioned everyone I knew of in the school system. I even met people through CG. Something felt different about this year. I had so many more contacts out there. Late April, I get a call from Keller ISD to interview for a new school opening. I had an hour long interview and felt really great about it. They even called to check my references. My principal even thought I had the job. Two weeks later I found out that they went with someone else. I was shocked. I refused to let that get me down. I had a dear friend at church who mentioned that her school would be in need of a third grade teacher. I told her I would love for her to put a word in for me since my other offer fell through. She had said wonderful things about her school and the principal. So, she emailed the principal about me. When the job posted, I applied. My friend gave me a piece of advice: She let me know her school was doing a book study on "The Leader in Me." She suggested I give it a read. Me being the eternal student that I am, gave the book a read. I loved it! When I got invited to interview for the school I had another point of discussion. A week prior to this interview, I had another interview at a school in this same district...thanks to another friend at church. They contacted me Saturday night via email to let me know that they went with someone else. I was fine with it because less than 24 hours after my interview on Thursday, they wanted to offer me the job. 

Tiff had texted me letting me know she had been called to give a reference. I had receive emails from HR about background check information. I was about 99% sure I had the job. Then Birdville ISD calls me and offers me an interview. While it would've been much closer to home, I was feeling pulled to Prairie View. I can't explain the feeling I had after that interview. I just knew that was where I belonged. All this to say.....I finally get to teach third grade! I have a shorter drive even though it's not a closer distance. I get to jump right in this next week and join them for training on the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People! I'll be 1 of 3 teachers on the team. I get to be the self contained teacher, so I get to teach everything. At first, I was a little disappointed. Then I realized that I'd be sad if I was the Math teacher because I'd have to give up reading, writing, and talking about books. But if all I taught was Language Arts, I'd have to give up teaching about numbers and Math. I guess that's what happens when you express a passion for all subjects....

Since I knew that I was moving from my old classroom regardless (either new school or down the hall to second grade), I packed everything up and brought it home. This is now what my middle spare bedroom looks like.





Instead of spending a quiet night at home Friday, we decided to go out and celebrate. I got dressed up for dinner in a dress I haven't worn in a while with my signature red heels.
Compliments to Mr. B's photography skills on making me look really thin at this angle!


We hit up our favorite spot in Sundance Square: PF Changs! We filled up on fried green beans, so we had lots of left overs to take home. That didn't stop us from going to Menchies for frozen yogurt (for the second time) this week. I'm in love with this picture of us!!! #allthehearteyedemojis

Could these fortunes be any more spot on?

Saturday morning I was invited by my neighbor to go with him to Half Price Books. He knows I love books and thought to invite me along for the ride. We had a nice discussion in the car about my new opportunity and about how God works in our lives. I typically don't buy books for myself since I can read for free from the library, but I do like to buy children's books. I spent most of my time in the children's section. I found these three books on a display shelf and gave them a read. I fell in love instantly. I had to have them. I think they will go great with our leadership theme at school. I can't wait to plan activities and lessons around these books!

When my neighbor comes looking for me, he said he should've known he'd find me in the children's section. Of course, my friend, of course. You know me too well.

I'm so excited to start my journey next school year. I'm going to enjoy my summer (after this training). I have to start work a week earlier since I'm new to the district. I've already planned the classes that I want to take for the new teacher academy because #squarelife
I'm going from the sea to the sky. From Shark to Hawk. I know I'm in for a busy and challenging year, but I'm so ready for it!






No comments:

Post a Comment