Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Del Rio Vacation 2016

Well, we're back from our nice long vacation. We had so much fun spending time with my family. Here's a little about what went on in my blogging absence.....

The Thursday before we left, Mr. B hit his 100th check-in with CG. Mark and Pam came out to do a 5AM workout just for Cooper (because they love him better than me;) It's always fun to workout with friends. Due to our vacation, we didn't workout at all that next week except for some swimming in the lake a couple of days. We brought our mats and weights with good intentions of working out, but we just couldn't escape the lazy vacation vibes.


Before we left, I needed to get my sweet fur babies groomed because they looked homeless. They were going to spend the week with their buddy, Duke! They needed to look presentable. 

This is how my dogs spent their vacation....

I called up my mom on Friday for some last minute trip details. I was super lucky because I got to Face Time with my Chunky Dunky!!!!

Aunt Lee Lee just couldn't wait until the next day to talk to her baby

Since we would be out of town with family on our actual anniversary, Mr. B and I celebrated on that Friday. We went to our favorite spot, Sundance Square, and ate at Simply Fondue. Thank you Groupon for an affordable price. This has become our "go-to" fancy dining establishment. We used to be fans of Texas de Brazil until they quit sending BOGO coupons. We aren't rich enough to pay full price. Same goes for Simply Fondue. Hence, the Groupon.
Me and my love headed to dinner....Side note: I was thrilled to see that my fedora looked good with my short hair cut!

I snapped this picture of the cheese fondue course to show my mom. She didn't really know what we were enjoying when I told her of our plans. I would've taken a picture of the other courses, but I was too busy enjoying them to bother. #sorrynotsorry
This is the Fontina cheese fondue. We don't like any cheese fondue with a beer base....just don't taste good. This is one of two cheese fondues without it

Since we told them we were celebrating our anniversary, they brought out this complimentary cheesecake drizzled in chocolate and caramel sauce. We dipped it in our white chocolate snickerdoodle fondue. Yeah......

We grabbed one more picture together after dinner

We left early Saturday morning to head to Del Rio. It was a 6 hour drive for us. As usual, I made Mr. B drive. I detest long driving. We arrived shortly after 1:00 that afternoon. We enjoyed a chill afternoon with family before enjoying a home-cooked meal by my Aunt Ann. Sunday, she made us breakfast. Actually, she made us breakfast everyday except Tuesday because I made breakfast for everyone. We went to church before heading to Rudy's for a BBQ lunch. When we got back, Mr. B and I took our annual anniversary selfie on their front porch with the dessert lake view behind us (which you can't see due to the angle we used, but trust us....it's there)
Lucky for us we were already dressed in our Sunday best for our picture
I do believe I have a very handsome husband:)

You know I've got to share several Jude pictures since he's so adorable.....
He was obsessed with this wheel barrow....he was also obsessed with the chickens, rocks, coasters, and riding his truck up and down the ramp

Aunt Lee Lee was so happy to get a smiling picture with her chunky

He also had some chill time with Uncle C

I don't even have words to describe this picture.....he was getting ready for his very first ride on the boat

Tuesday was my aunt's birthday. I made sausage cream cheese crescent rolls and eggs for breakfast. Every morning we would start our day with a cup of coffee on the porch. Later that afternoon, my cousin came by to take us out on the lake. Everyone took this trip except my aunt and uncle. I think they used this as an opportunity to rest from their house guests.
No, that's not a sunburn. There's a red canopy overhead creating the sunburn illusion....

We always look forward to riding the inner tube out on the lake. Cousin Tim always gives good rides. This year, he pulled us behind his speed boat instead of the pontoon. That was a wild ride. He lives for flipping people off the tube. Mr. B went first. He got flipped a couple of times. My sister went next. She, too, got flipped a couple of times. I went next. However, I rode with Jude so I could have a nice gentle ride. Well, they made me put Jude back on the boat so I could have the wild ride. I insisted that I did not want to ride on my stomach and that I would ride on my knees. Bad mistake. I wasn't on for 15 seconds before I was hollering for them to stop because my legs felt like they were being beat with a baseball bat. I surrendered to riding on my stomach. I was a champ. It took forever for him to throw me off. I actually told him to stop and that I give up before the "great fall." I almost convinced him to pull me ashore until my mean spirited sister (who wasn't even planning on being on this trip) told him "Go, go, go! Flip her over!" So, off went the boat. He pulled out every trick to finally get me to flip off. When I did, it hurt so bad. I skipped like a rock across that water and my nose was burning from all the water that went up it. Then, I had to be towed back to the pontoon boat. That was a challenge. It you faced the boat, you had water constantly coming at your face. If you had your back to the boat, you had to fight with the inner tube. I'm telling you, trying not to drown counted as my exercise that day.
After the tube flipping

We spent some time just swimming around the boat. As usual, it took me a few minutes to build up the courage to just jump in. I don't do well in large bodies of water. I prefer the controlled enviroment of the swimming pool.
Even Chunky Dunky got in on the swimming action....he, too, was a little unsure about that big body of water

That evening, we went to our favorite Mexican food restaurant, Memos, for my Aunt's birthday. I had some really tasty nachos. We spent Wednesday out on the lake. Thursday we hung out at the house while Mr. B went fishing with Tim. 

How we started every morning....coffee on the porch. The gulf breeze blowing while you sit out and look on the dessert lake view. Then you go inside and enjoy a good breakfast and another cup of coffee. Many K-Cups lost their lives on this trip.

We played some games on our trip. Dominoes were a favorite of most. Jude loved dominoes. He wanted to be in my lap to help me play. We finally decided to put him in his chair and give him his own dominoes to play with. I think he was satisfied.

We headed to Lubbock on Friday morning. We spent the day just hanging out and running errands. I even went to Walmart with my mom......
During bath time, Mr. B took over bath duties. This picture was too cute not to share.

Saturday was my grandpa's 85th birthday party. We headed to Andrews where my aunt was throwing him a birthday party. It was such a great time. It was like a family reunion. All papa's siblings came. All but one of my granny's siblings came. Papa's wife's children came. He also had a few nieces and nephews come. Most of papa's grandchildren were able to make it and all 3 of his boys. It must be a great honor to have so many people travel great distances to celebrate your life. Us grandkids had to bring our favorite snack we remember having with papa. I chose Moonpies. Papa was a huge fan of the "midnight snack." Everyone shared their favorite memory of them with papa.
My memory: Papa always let us paint his toenails. We loved to paint fingernails and toenails as little girls. Granny let us paint her long nails, and papa was such a good sport and let us do his toenails. I remember they had just got new carpet in their living room when Granny said, "Don't you get any of that polish on the new carpet." Well, guess what I did? Yep! I dribbled a bit on the carpet. So I did what any little girl would do in that situation....I found a paper grocery sack and covered it up. I don't know if they ever discovered that tiny spot......

Amanda and I also shared a memory of Sundays after church. We insisted that Papa and Granny take us to the convenient store to get cheese sticks. If there weren't any, well we had a come apart.

Amanda shared a memory of when Papa came home from work, we always begged him to go up on the roof to adjust the antenna so we could get Fox 34 cartoons. Just some background info: they lived in the middle of nowhere in Seagraves, TX. That's about 75 miles, or so, from Lubbock. You really had to work to receive those Lubbock channels. This was the early 90's so.....

My sister managed to snag a good pic of me and Papa at his party. He didn't want to take it at that moment because he was busy eating a strawberry. We interrupted him....

Here is our immediate family with Papa: Amanda, mom, dad, Papa, me, Mr. B, Elizabeth, Jude

This is all the people that were there from my Granny's side of the family!

Mr. B and I went to church with my parents and had lunch with them on Sunday before heading back home. As you can see, my lounging buddy, Harley, was glad to be back in his rightful spot.

We had such a great time this last week. It's not often that I get to spend such an extended time with my parents. We loved both our smaller vacations this summer. I can hardly believe that it's almost time to go back to work.....





















No comments:

Post a Comment