Monday, May 4, 2015

Fun with the Dream Team

Saturday was a full and busy day for me. I started my morning early by driving to Arlington to judge at our UIL meet. I signed up to be a UIL coach this year. I remember participating when I was in school, so I thought it would be fun to have the experience from the coach/judge side. I coached an event that I competed in: Oral Reading. This event is reading/performance based. Participants choose a poem, prose, or story selection to read. Judges are looking for fluency, expression, intonation, accuracy, and performance. I coached this even with another teacher. We had only one participant in our event. A sweet young lady in 5th grade. I knew from the beginning that she would rock this event. She chose a selection that I performed when I was in school. I was so proud when I found out that she took 2nd place in the event!

Later that day, I went to a party with my team mates from work to celebrate the birthday of our former team mate who had to leave us earlier this year. Even though she left our school, she never left our "team!" We went over to "Mama B's" house for the party. (Mama B is a nickname that one of our teachers earned because she acts like our team mom...always taking care of everyone, including us) We knew that she would go all out and be the "hostess with the mostess." She did not disappoint. She wanted us all to wear hats in honor of the Kentucky Derby. We were having fajitas with all the fixings and my famous loaded mashed potatoes. We got there and she had appetizers for us.

Chips, salsa, guacamole, mozzarella with tomatoes, strawberries, sausage on pretzel sticks. There were also cocktails and mocktails for everyone. She even had Mint Juleps to celebrate the Kentucky Derby. She broke out the fine china for appetizers and opted for paper plates for the main course. We had a nice time time chatting and eating (two things our first grade team is known for).


Yay that baby Gabriella could come hang out!

We spent most of the evening enjoying the wonderful weather outside. The bugs started attacking, but TJ said...." I bet she has a candle!" Yep, she sure did! For dessert we had the chocolate cake I made with sparkling lemonade.

We ended the night with presents! Even though this was SJ's birthday, she brought us gifts also. She told us not to get excited because it was just old stuff of hers. She's retiring and trying to rid herself of all things "teacher!" Teachers will always get excited about "old stuff" from a retired teacher. We get really excited when books are involved, especially when sweet/funny hand written notes are placed inside the books:) I made out like a bandit with Expo markers, erasers, and dry erase boards. While TJ cleaned up in the colorful Sharpie department! Because "when in doubt, do art!" TJ's slogan:)

It was a great Saturday! Just love hanging out with these ladies. Love who you work with and work will always be tolerable....even on your worst day! Having someone to vent with, cry with, and laugh with makes everything better! So sad to lose one more Dream Team member this next year:( 


Clearly, with us you are not forgotten when you leave. We still celebrate your awesomeness!!!

1 comment:

  1. Such a fun, fun night!!! And I'll even forgive that unflattering candid picture you took of me because I love you so much ;)

    ReplyDelete