Sunday, March 1, 2015

Making Nice with the Snow and Ice

Ahhhh.....February in Texas. I have often found that this is probably the craziest month for weather in the Lone Star State. We experience "normal" mild winter temps, get teased with some spring-like temps, then BAM! out of no where get blasted with crazy Arctic weather. That was the case this past week. My previous post told of our journey to Lubbock and how we got back in the midst of the freezing rain. Well, as I sat on my couch last Sunday night it became clear to me that we perhaps might not have school the next day. I kept checking the school's Facebook page for updates. Sure enough, the post came that thrilled teachers across North Texas....No School on Monday!!! Cooper had to work, so I spent the day in my onesie PJs (courtesy of my lil' sis) with a blanket, 2 dogs, hot cocoa, and Netflix! You know you're watching too much TV when Netflix sends you messages of judgement such as this:

I mean, yes, I'm still watching One Tree Hill! Stop judging me Netflix!!!! I'll turn it off when I'm done. Hello, my name is Ashley and I have a Netflix addiction.......
Side note, the hubby and I finally finished all 10 seasons of Friends on Netflix and now don't know what to do with ourselves. It was a sad day at our house when that final episode finished. I now understand how the rest of America felt 10 years ago.
Ready for some cuteness? Here are my sweet furry babies snuggled up with me:

Now during these snow days I'd have ongoing text conversations with a few girls at work. Apparently we still need to communicate like we are actually still at school. Only these conversations are way better! Of course we started talking about food since that is what we're known for. Somehow, pancakes got mentioned. So you know what we had for dinner that night.....
with strawberries and cool whip, too!

Now, seeing as how temps never got above freezing that day and the rain kept coming, we were on the lookout for another cancellation for Tuesday. Sure enough, that evening more good news came:

This was great news for me because Cooper was off on Tuesday, so we would get to be lazy together that day. That doesn't happen very often for us. We took full advantage!


Had to throw in this cute pic of Harley desperately seeing permission to get up on the couch with me!

Now, I did have to rock the onesie PJ another day since it was so comfortable. The 4 of us decided we needed a family selfie to commemorate the day:
Dixie is camera shy, and Harley is showing of his tongue.

I was able to go to work Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. It was a crazy week, so I kind of just made things up as the days went on. This was a chance for my kids to get to do things we normally wouldn't have time for during normal weeks. I read lots of stories and poems to my kids just for fun. They absolutely LOVED sitting on the carpet listening to me read funny books in funny voices.

Mid morning on Friday the snow came. And boy did it come! It was a crazy hot mess on the roads and in the front office as parents were swarming in to pick up their kids early. Thankfully, the school district decided to shut down at 12:30 due to bad weather conditions. My amazing team knew I had a long drive, so they let me cut out pretty quick after dismissal. My normal 35 minute commute took 2 hours. But I made it home and enjoyed an evening of TV and delicious food. We'd been talking about this queso dip we'd been craving at work, so I asked Cooper to pick up a few "survival" necessities on his way home from work. It pays to have a hubby that works at a grocery store in times like these so I don't have to get out in this mess. We made sausage queso blanco and brownies for dinner that night!

Here are a few pics of us enjoying the snow Friday afternoon. As you'll see in some pics, the dogs were not crazy about the snow. In their defense, we did throw some snowballs at them while we were out there. Our cul de sac was a beautiful blanket of unmarked snow until I came driving up. The same thing with our backyard. Our galavanting about and snowball fights disrupted the picturesque view in our backyard.





I had to take a pic with my #1 pup
and my #1 man

Here's hoping for a week of normalcy before Spring Break!

Here's a P.S. for you....My little nephew, Jude Douglas, was born Tuesday afternoon at 12:31 pm. I won't get to meet him until April, but here is a pic to get you through until then:)

No comments:

Post a Comment