Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Summertime Kick-off

Summer time is upon us. For a teacher, that means, hopefully, 10 weeks of fun and relaxation before late August hits. My first week was super packed of things to do. Monday, hair appointment....check out my awesome color streak:)




Tuesday, volunteer orientation at the hospital. I decided this summer to find something to do that would get me out of the house and doing something productive, other than spending money! My neighbor is the chaplain and head of volunteers at a local hospital. He asked me back in February about volunteering over the summer. Over spring break I did all the preliminary work. I start on Thursday. I think my first job is going to be in medical records helping transfer everything on paper into electronic form. I'm looking forward to this new experience.

Wednesday and Thursday I had all day workshops for professional development. Not even a whole week out of school and already I'm working! But, I did get paid for attending. I had good company and good lunch options. I have a couple more days of classes I'm taking throughout the summer to get all my PD done before school starts. Thursday when the hubby and I both got home, we starting preparing for our weekend trip (more info on that in an upcoming post). We took the dogs to his parents' house, did some snack shopping, picked up the rental car, and packed our bags. We had a 2:30am departure time the following day. We managed to squeeze in 4 hours of sleep before the alarm woke us up at 2:00am!

Other summer activities: Clearly, I've been reading like a mad woman. I'm pretty sure I've lost count on how many books I put away already. I put away 4 in the past 3 days alone! I read a whole one this morning before sitting down to do this:)
A recent visit to my parents' house a few weeks ago to attend my youngest sister's high school graduation made me want a pool in my backyard. Now, since the hubby and I don't have the half acre lot my parents do, nor the funds or desire to do the pool upkeep, we went for a simpler method that worked out for us!

Now, don't judge our pool. It's 10 feet long, 6 feet wide, and 14" deep. It's just perfect for the hubby and I to have a nice relaxing float. We bought a tarp to put under it and a tarp to cover it. It really is a shame we've only used it once since we bought it. We've just been so busy. The night we bought it, we decided to have our first grill session of the summer. So, I used a recipe given to me by one of my awesome teammates at school to make a homemade pizza dough and grill pizza outside! I put some olive oil and minced garlic on the crust and we roasted tomatoes on the cast iron skillet on the grill. We used mozzarella and turkey pepperoni for our pizza. It may look messy and unconventional, but it was delicious!


I hope to keep up my blog with more fun summer adventures! Stay tuned for our 4 day weekend adventure, and in one month....our Dominican getaway!!!

2 comments:

  1. As always I love reading your blog. It's one way of keeping up with what's going on in friends lives. Keep up the good work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for summer, blogging, & the shoutout! :)

    ReplyDelete