Friday, June 20, 2014

Summer Shenannigans #1: Del Rio Family Vacation

Well after a crazy first week of summer, I finally got to take a vacation. This time I brought Mr. Hubby along for the fun. A couple of years ago when I went on this trip with my family, he didn't get to come with me. It was a lot of fun having him enjoy the experience with me this go around. We went to Del Rio, Texas to visit my great aunt and uncle. They have a house on Lake Amistad. My parents and sisters arrived last Wednesday, but Mr. Hubby and I couldn't come down till Friday. We had a little four-day weekend adventure. We hit the road at 2:30am Friday morning. Surprisingly, we didn't even need to stop. Good thing too, because there really wasn't any place to stop once we got going. It is pretty much just open country road. Once we got further south, the scenery got really pretty, so I had to snap some shots.

Clearly, Mr. Hubby was an intense driver on these curvy roads. We arrived at 8:30 that morning and had the whole day ahead of us. They had just woke for the day, so we even got to eat some good country breakfast. My aunt prepared biscuits, gravy, eggs, bacon, and hash browns. Mr Hubby nearly lost it (he's a BIG eater and loves food). Even though we were snacking on the way down there, we still somehow found an appetite to fit that yumminess in! My cousin came over to take us "kids" out boating and tubing on the lake. I had forgotten how beautiful this lake was:

We started out with some fun tubing! We let Mr. Hubby go first since he'd never been. I just didn't think it was fair that since he was a "newbie" my cousin took it easy on him.


It looks like I'm having a nice, leisure ride.....BUT my cousin did try to tip me over for a big finish. I DENIED him that pleasure. Our first day we were tubing by the dam. That's what you see there in the background. We are on the Rio Grande, practically on the border of Mexico. If you were to look closely on top of the dam, there are two eagles, one representing Texas, and the other representing Mexico. After everyone had their turn tubing, they wanted to jump in the lake and swim. I have this fear of swimming in open water. I don't do lake and ocean swimming! I'm a swimming pool kinda girl. It has nothing to do with fear of drowning, just a fear of the unknown...like what could be in that water!? While everyone else was just jumping in, I was observing from the boat. Of course, that means I was teased mercilessly until I finally decided to get in. The first time I "climbed" in via the boat ladder. Once I was in, you really couldn't get me out. From then on, I would freely jump in with everyone else. It is one of the cleanest lakes you will ever be in. We decided to ham it up for the cameras:




I have no idea why every shot has me with my mouth wide open. Apparently, it's a favorite pose of mine. My Hubby and I decided we needed a couple pic while chillin' on the boat:

That night, we had the most delicious meal: home made fried catfish and home made hush puppies with all the fixins. That even included Pioneer Woman's smashed potatoes!!! It was so mouthwatering, I just had to get a pic:

So much for my eating healthy! Momentary break. Well worth it. Saturday was a relaxing day with a simple boat ride to check the trout lines to see if we caught some fish. We did go eat at this AMAZING lil' Mexican restaurant down town. It is family owned for 77 years! It really was great food. In hindsight, I really should have snapped some shots of the food in front of us, but I was just so excited to eat it that I forgot. Again, Mr. Hubby went on an all-out eating spree. I really wish I had his metabolism. Here are some shots from the restaurant, including the lovely view, and a beaver!



You know I need to include at least one couple's selfie:

Even managed to get a lovely pic with my sis. It's a rare thing when we both love the way we look in our pics, but this one we both agreed was a good one:

 Sunday, we went to church then came back home to snap a few pics before going back to the lake. My family...Mr. Hubby is snapping the pic!

This time, my cousin did not take it easy on Mr. Hubby when he got on the tube. He managed to flip him and everyone else off the tube during their ride. Everyone else, that is, except me!!! Mr. Hubby even rode with my sister's boyfriend. Now there were some comedic moments. They rode on their stomachs and straddled the tube. I got a pic of them straddling then tipping!

Monday, everyone but my aunt went out for a boat ride. They took us to see the springs, but it was too windy to see them. My cousin got out his speed boat and gave us each a ride in it! Now that was fun! I couldn't really feel my face much after the ride, but it was a blast. Sorry, no way to get pics on that ride. Mr. Hubby and I left that afternoon for our journey home. It was relaxing, but very fun! Love these fun mini getaways. I can't wait to see what other shennanigans Mr. Hubby and I will have ahead of us this summer. I plan on making it a fun one!




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an absolutely wonder-filled magical mini-vacation. Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete