Saturday, December 14, 2013

In the Holiday Spirit

Thanksgiving is spent with my hubby's family at his parents' house. His brother comes with his wife and son, and we have a great time. There is always a huge feast, and we eat left overs for two or three days afterwards. My mother-in-law had the week off since her school district is cool like that. I, however, had to work Monday and Tuesday that week since my school district thought it was a good idea. She had a week of fun times with my adorable 4 year old nephew. No worries though! I was over at her house pretty much every day from Tuesday-Sunday that week. I had to get in some serious ninja turtle and nurf gun wars time with my nephew. Foam darts were fired all over my mother-in-law's house that week. I'm sure if she were to move some furniture, you would find some lost darts lingering. Good thing we have a multipack of extras. I love spending time with my nephew because he likes me picking on him and he picks back. It's great! He says, "yes, I want to play the pick on game!" He would always ask me, "when are you going to come play with me?" Don't worry, I did my duty in the kitchen. I made mashed potatoes, creamed corn, and cherry fluff salad. I also helped chop and mix other items. We enjoyed an all day football event starting with the best team ever (if you ask Mr. B) the Greenbay Packers taking on the Detroit Lions. Of course, the Packers lost. Hahahahahahaha! Of course, we all make fun of Mr. B for liking such as strange team. I mean, come on! This is Texas for crying out loud! AND, we live in DFW! Dallas Cowboys all the way (who, by the way, won their game on Thanksgiving!). Now, I did have to watch my Texas Tech Red Raiders suffer an agonizing loss to the Longhorns that night. Since I got to watch the cowboys win and eat lots of good food, I was spared any large amount of rage.

Now, I don't partake in the black Friday ridiculousness. However, I did decide that this year I wanted a second Christmas tree. We've had a tree decorated with blue and silver ornaments for the past few years, but I have always wanted a red and gold decorated tree. Since I'm greedy and didn't want to give up my silver and blue ornaments, I just went to Big Lots and bought a second tree. I then ventured out to (GASP!) Walmart and Hobby Lobby to purchase ornaments. Believe it or not, Walmart wasn't too bad Friday afternoon. I was in and out. I always make Mr. B unpack the trees and "de-fluff" them. His mom said she used to pay him to do that when he was in high school. I didn't pay him! I feed him. That's enough payment. Here are the results of our decorating....yes, I helped decorate.




Notice how there is no Green Bay Packers hat! And...it will remain that way:)
Here is a pic of an ornament that my neighbors bout me from Branson, Missouri.
 
It really started to feel like winter the next week. DFW got hit with what would come to be called Icemageddon 2013! We went from 80 degrees on Wednesday to the 20s on Thursday with freezing rain. I got a four day weekend out of it, but I was trapped inside for 4 days straight worrying about Mr. B who had to get out everyday in the mess to go to work. I wore my "give up on life" clothes for 4 days straight. Haha...love that term "give up on life" for sweats and PJs. Thanks to my brother and sister-in-law for introducing that term to my vocabulary. This is our backyard after the storm. This may look like beautiful snow, but it is ALL ice!
Ok, so now I am about to be one of those people who shows you several pictures of their pet. I love my two dogs. Please excuse their disheveled look (it's been a while since their last groom), but these pics were just too cute not to show the world.

 

 
I thought it was so cute that they were sharing the big dog pillow. I've seen them each lay on it separately, but never together. I just couldn't resist snapping the shot of Harley snuggled up on the ugly Green Bay Packers blanket. These next two show them cuddled up with me and sleeping with Mr. B.
 
 

 
I returned to work on Tuesday and went straight ahead. Here it is, Saturday, and I've got one more fun-filled crazy week before the 2 week Christmas holiday. Stay tuned for the craziness!




No comments:

Post a Comment