Saturday, January 5, 2019

2018: A Year in Review

It really is amazing at how much can change in a year. This time last year, we were going crazy preparing for a baby boy that was due in January. We were ready to pack up and head to Phoenix at a moment's notice when our birth mom went into labor. Fast forward to a year later, we have a 9 month old daughter that has completely changed our world! So much has happened this last year. We knew 2018 was going to be a big year for us. We had high hopes of becoming parents, but we weren't truly prepared for the journey we went on to become parents. The first 3 months of 2018 were very challenging. Then a phone call on April 10th changed our lives forever. The rest of 2018 was pretty fantastic. How did our year go? Well....take a look at our journey!

January

We started off our year with a baby shower to welcome our baby boy that would be due sometime this month. Mr. B's friends at work gave us a shower at a restaurant. We were in baby bliss. We started working on the nursery so it would be ready in time to welcome our son. It had a fresh coat of paint, new ceiling fan, and hardwood floors. On January 14th around 6 PM, we got "the call" that our birth mom was in labor. We ended up spending about 5 days in Phoenix before heading back home brokenhearted and empty handed. We never saw this coming. We were blessed to make some great new friends through our sadness. Little did we know, we would see them all again very soon.....


Contrary to popular belief, I can put some things together and know how to work some tools.


Our baby boy's cake


The Greely family
We stayed with them during our brief stay. Love this sweet family so much!



When we returned, we had a date night where we went painting. We knew these would be perfect for our nursery. We had faith that God would send us our perfect child.

(I would see faith posts for each day of the year. This was a post on January 21: "God is saying to you today, 'I am preparing you for something greater. Get ready to go higher. All of your experiences both good and bad I will use for my glory. Claim it and receive it by faith.'"  Another one on this same day: "Remember the same God that made a way last time, will make a way this time." I hear you, Lord.)


February

Mr. B and I were still dealing with our loss, so we tried to find ways to distract ourselves. Each passing day I would check my email hoping for another intake and the possibility of a match with another birth mom. February didn't really yield any results on our adoption journey. This was a silent month for us. I did enjoy time with my best gal pals preparing for Christy's wedding by trying on bridesmaid dresses. We also went to Lubbock to celebrate our nephew's 3rd birthday. This is a yearly trip we look forward to each year.


Well, it was fun to try on and model our dresses. Unfortunately, I never got to wear mine.


Uncle Cooper is the coolest ever



Happy birthday to our lil' man


LeeLee loves her Joodle Bug


March

This month was a little less silent for our adoption journey. We started receiving intakes again. What we found out is that the agency was being very selective to who they wanted to show us to because they didn't want us to suffer another disruption. We were fortunate to be matched again in March with another birth mom. However, a week later we found out that she had miscarried. We were upset at the loss of another child and heartbroken for the kind woman who chose to place her sweet baby with us. This is another pain that I am all too familiar with. We still kept our faith strong. We knew we were the family for the May Sacred Selections fundraiser. So we went and helped stuff envelopes to be sent out. Mr. B and I went to Grandbury for some fun and shopping. We got to see our Joodle Bug again since my sister came for a visit. I spent some time with my best gal pals during our monthly Sunday lunch. I even enjoyed some fun with my team as we dressed up as tacky tourists to kick off an "Around the World" STAAR prep adventure. I also got to hang out with my girls from my old school. It's always a fun time getting together with my teacher gang.


Our fundraiser flyer that we stuffed in countless envelopes


Fun in Gradbury


Joodles comes to visit


Trio lunch date


Tacky tourists here to take you around the world


April

This month was the month that changed our lives forever. I was washing dishes one Tuesday evening when I received a phone call. When I saw the name of the caller I instantly got jittery. I knew it had to be good news since we haven't heard anything in a few weeks. She asked me if we were ready to get on a plane to Phoenix to get a baby girl. Shocked doesn't even begin to describe how we felt. We'd heard stories like that where people get called to come for a baby that had already been born. I never dreamed that would happen to us. It couldn't have been a better scenario for us. We spent 2 weeks in Arizona waiting to come home with our baby girl. We got to visit friends we'd met in January as well as experience the beauty of Arizona that we'd missed out on last time we were there. After we got back home, our friend Kelli threw us a baby shower. We took Hannah to church for the first time here at home. She also got to meet her grandparents and great grandma (GiGi) and her uncle Mark, aunt Kelly, and cousins Jude, Dylan, and Kylie. I went on maternity leave for the rest of the school year and enjoyed my stay at home mom status for the next four months.


Meeting our baby girl for the first time


Enjoying the beautiful Arizona weather as a family of 3



Our lovely hosts for our stay, the Leach's (fun fact: we stayed with their daughter and son-in-law back in January)


Hannah went on her first road trip to Sedona, Arizona. This was a quick 2 hour drive north of Phoenix. That little bundle I'm holding is our sweet Hannah.


This is Hannah's official Sacred Selection social media announcement



We were cleared to come home on April 25th. We enjoyed our stay in Arizona, but were anxious to get back home and start our new "normal" with our sweet girl. Due to Hannah's arrival and our extended stay in Arizona, I was unable to attend Christy and De'Von's wedding on the 21st. Hence, why I never got to wear that bridesmaid's dress.


Our baby shower sign...April 27th



Taking Hannah to meet her church family on our first Sunday at home together


Meeting Grammy, Papa, and cousin Jude


Meeting GiGi for the first time. Hannah has visited GiGi several times throughout the year. GiGi is always excited to see her.


Nana and Granddaddy met her at the airport the day we arrived, but these are some of the first pictures we got with them and Hannah


Meeting Uncle Mark, Aunt Kelly, and cousins Dylan and Kylie


May

May arrived and brought the heat of summer with it. Mr. B and I went on our first date post baby. I'd bought these tickets a couple of months back. We went to see my favorite podcasters live in Dallas. That meant that Nana and Granddaddy got some quality babysitting time in. The next day we celebrated Hannah turning 1 month old. That was a very quick month. Then a few days later I got to celebrate my first Mother's Day. Oh, how I've waited for this day to come for years now. It felt good to have my sweet girl with me on this special day. We took Hannah to Build-A-Bear to make her a special bear. We even splurged and put a special voice message inside for her. Hannah also met her Uncle Chris, Aunt Michelle, and cousins Beckham and Owen. On the 19th, we attended the Sacred Selections fundraiser in our honor. The funds from this fundraiser were going to help fund our adoption. It was a great turnout. We were blessed by friends and family attending and donating. We even got a picture with Josh Robinson of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (although at the time of this post he is now a NOLA Saints) and his cleats for a cause. I had some much needed girl time with Leigh Anne and her sweet girls in McKinney. Hannah also attended her first Trio lunch date with the twins and baby Stella. We closed out the month with Memorial Day celebrations with our cul-de-sac crew. 


Date night with my main squeeze


These guys make me laugh every week


Can't believe this sweet love is a month old already


Special outfit for a special girl


Just a mama and her baby on their first Mother's Day


First trip to Build-A-Bear....meet Phoenix the bear


Meeting Uncle Chris, Aunt Michelle, and cousins Beckham and Owen


At our Sacred Selections fundraiser with Josh Robinson. He's a huge supporter of Sacred Selections and has even adopted twin boys himself.


When at a SS fundraiser, one must get their picture taken in front of the banner.


Fun in McKinney with some of my favorite littles



Guess we can't call this a Trio lunch date anymore with two little ladies joining us


Memorial Day celebrations


June

The official summer kick off. Hannah turned 2 months old. Mr. B celebrated his first Father's Day. Hannah made her first road trip to Lubbock and slept the whole way and met more family members. She met her Aunt Lizzie and her great grandparents (Papa and Ruby). We got family pictures with my family for the first time since December of 2007. A few things have changed since then. Misty and I took our little ladies out in Southlake town square for a little mama stroller date. I met up with some old teacher friends and introduced them to my sweet girl. I remember it was so hot that day. We decided it was a good idea to dine outside. I can't imagine why. It was miserable hot and sweaty. I was also dealing with a colicky baby. Hannah had a rough month with colic. She was always crying and had a hard time eating. We changed out her formula and hoped for the best. At least she was sleeping through the night. We also did our annual end of school year cookout with the gang. It was interesting now that there were 2 little babies with us now. 


There's really no reason why this picture is included except for the fact that I love it.


2 months old and terrible colic...hence, the binky.


Once very proud daddy on his first Father's Day


She had a special outfit for Mother's Day, so she naturally had to have one for Father's Day


Stroller date....back when Hannah slept all the time


Oh how I love these girls! The Sherrod gals, The Thread, half of the Dream Team #allthenames


First group selfie with the kids. Annual school's out for summer get together


Meeting the great grandparents (Papa and Ruby)


First Family photo in 11 years


Meeting Auntie Lizzy for the first time


July

This month our sweet girl turned 3 months old and got over that colicky spell. It was like a light switch. She was a happy baby and full of smiles and coos. Jude came to hang out for a week and a half while the rest of my family vacationed in Disney. We had to much fun hanging out with him. It also gave me a taste of mom-ing with an infant and toddler. I think it was good practice for what we have planned. I also watched McKenzie for a few days this month. So there were times when I had an infant and 2 toddlers. Earning my mom badges quick! I just love those sweet toddlers with "baby Hannah." Mr. B and I celebrated our 8th anniversary. We went to our favorite date spot, Sundance Square. We ate at Texas de Brazil since we had a BOGO dinner. We ate at TDB a lot over the summer with James and Kelli. We did an escape room for the first time with friends at church on Sunday evening. It was fun, even if I was only able to help solve one clue. We did escape! We also took Hannah to Austin for the first time. She had another successful road trip. We brought Jude with us, too. I felt very accomplished as a caregiver on this trip. Hannah's boy cousins just adore her. I started feeling sad this month because I knew my time with Hannah full time was coming to an end. School would be starting soon.....


3 months old and so happy


I'll just let the toddlers watch my baby for a minute


Do I love Mr. B snuggled up with these two sweet girls? Yep!


Just a few escape artists


The annual anniversary selfie




We made room for this despite the amount of meat we consumed


Hannah with her Austin cousins, Owen and Beckham


She may never have a big brother, but this just might work


August

Our little sugar bear turned 4 months old this month. She really started to show her personality this month. We discovered this month that we truly have a happy and friendly baby. We spoon fed her for the first time this month. She ate oatmeal cereal first. It was funny watching her experience the spoon for the first time. We had more girl time with the twins and Stella. We just love watching these girls interact with each other. We're hoping they'll be besties for the resties like their mamas. August means that my maternity leave is officially over. We're lucky to have Mr. B's dad keep Hannah for us while we work. She enjoys her time with granddaddy. I started my 3rd year at PVE with a new team and going back to being a self-contained teacher. I loved meeting my new teammate, Teresa. We were sad to have Lilia leave, but happy for her promotion. I soon discovered Teresa and I were meant to work together. We both bring a certain amount of crazy to the team. It was definitely a learning curve to be a working mama. I didn't shed any tears, but I did struggle to find time to get all my work done and still find time for my baby girl. 


My happy 4 month old


Eating with a spoon for the first time is hard work


Staying with granddaddy is so fun! She may be spoiled...just a little


Not a bad selfie considering there are 2 babies involved


Hannah and Stella....future BFFs


My team for the 2018-2019 school year!


September

This month still found me making adjustments to my daily routine trying to balance work and mom life. At times it felt overwhelming. Our sweet girl continued to grow and flourish. She's 5 months old this month. At this point, she is smiling for just about every photo. This girl loves the camera. Texas Tech football season started and we made sure Hannah had all the gear to support our team. Since we got back from Arizona, we've had monthly visits with Holly, our social worker. Well this month was our last visit with her. This final visit was a home visit for her to see how Hannah was adjusting and how we were doing as a family. After this visit we would be ready for finalization in a couple of months. Mr. B and I had another date night with some friends from church. We went to a Texas Rangers game in a suite thanks to Mr. B's brother's purchase at our fundraiser, It was nice to spend time with the people who purchased this event at our fundraiser back in May. Even though the Rangers lost and we left early, it was still a fun night. I felt like such a rebel staying out on a school night. 


Baby girl is 5 months old now and getting so big


This Texas Tech baby is so adorable


Hannah and Holly on her last visit with us


Hanging out at the Rangers game on a school night


Just my crazy team at our first Hawk Huddle of the year. Tutus and unicorn horns are a must!


October

So much went on this month. Hannah celebrated being half a year old. She just keeps getting more fun as the months tick by. She rode in her stroller like a big girl and in the shopping cart like a big girl for the first time. She also discovered her love of guacamole and refried beans when we went to Joe T Garcia's with James and Kelli one evening. We took another trip to Lubbock for my dad's birthday and a family reunion. Hannah met many more extended family members. We were nervous because she was more active than last time we went to Lubbock, but she did great. Hannah also had her first experience with cold weather while in Lubbock. We celebrated Mr. B's 33rd birthday at 54th Street restaurant and took Hannah to the pumpkin patch. We didn't stay long because it was cold, wet, muddy, and so crowded. This was the first day in a couple of weeks that wasn't rainy. So everyone came out for the pumpkin patch. At the end of the month we celebrated Hannah's first Halloween with cheesy parent costumes and Hannah as a cute pumpkin. Trick-or-Treating will happen next year when she's able to toddle about. At school, we had a character parade. My team dressed as famous women in history. I decided to be the ever fashionable Jackie-O. My bouffant wig was a hit! 


Has it already been half a year since this sweet girl has been in our lives?


Trip to the outlet mall on a Saturday afternoon with our big girl!


Riding like a big girl in the cart while shopping at Trader Joe's


Why yes I do love refried beans and guacamole...thank you!


All this for a weekend trip to Lubbock with a 6 month old!


We love visiting Grammy and Papa's house!


Headed to church with the family



Fun at the family reunion


Hannah's first exposure to cold weather while in Lubbock. Time to bring out the heavy blankets!


My little pumpkin at her first pumpkin patch


Family pumpkin patch selfie


Happy Halloween from our little pumpkin


Dadcula and Momster on Halloween with the cutest lil pumpkin in the patch


Some famous women in history


November

This was another crazy busy month for us. Our sweet girl turned 7 months old at the beginning of the month. We had another lunch date with the girls. On the 10th we attended the Sacred Selections fundraiser event in Dallas for a couple we used to go to church with. (At the time of this post, they now have a beautiful week old baby boy) We remember at this event last year when Dana told us we would attend this event next year with our baby. Funny how she was so very right! We also found out early in the month that it was finally time for us to finalize Hannah's adoption. So on a cold Tuesday (the 13th) we finalized our adoption. It was an amazing feeling to have the closure of everything. We weren't worried about it, but just the feeling of knowing that everything is final and legal is just indescribable. We have all the rights and responsibilities as if she was our biological child. I loved hearing those words. We decided to finalize in Georgetown on the advice of our attorney. It was nice because Mr. B's brother got to drive in from Austin to attend the hearing. Mr. B's parents also came up with us. Hannah celebrated her first Thanksgiving. It was just us and Mr. B's parents and lots of food! Hannah enjoyed her own feast. We did some black Friday shopping at our favorite boutique. Later that day we had a pajama party with James, Kelli, and McKenzie. We decorated for Christmas and bought our yearly ornament. Of course this year we went with the "Baby's first Christmas" ornament. We took some family photos for our Christmas cards. It was a cold morning, but the photos turned out super cute. These were the first family photos where Hannah actually could emote. As for the school year, well we celebrated the 50th day of school this month and dressed the part.


Showing her 7 month old flair


Just love these 2


Our official photo in front of the banner


At the hotel the night before her big day


Her official adoption day outfit


After her hearing with our attorney, Mr. Handy


The official post hearing picture with the judge


Our friend Lisa was kind enough to make this sign for our sweet girl


PJ party with McKenzie


Her Thanksgiving day outfit


Check out that feast (she ate it all!)


Our first family Thanksgiving


Shopping at Miss Mindy's boutique of black Friday


Not amused at having to try on hats


Last year's ornament vs. this year's ornament. The angel wings were a sign of hope and faith for things to come in 2018. The heart with Hannah's picture is the outcome of that hope and faith.


Love this family photo of us


Some 50's gals on the 50th day of school


December

I love the month of December. It is my favorite month. It could be because it is the month I entered this world some 33 years ago, but it's also because of the holiday season and all the fun things that go on. I made it my mission to watch all the Hallmark Christmas movies that were premiering. Success! Our sweet girl turned 8 months old! She started sitting up for long periods of time and even got some teeth! We attended a Christmas party at James and Kelli's house early in the month. We took Hannah to my school for pancakes with Santa. We were very surprised that she didn't wail while sitting in his lap. She has entered that phase where she doesn't like strangers. Later that day we went to have dinner with Mr. B's parents at the Cheesecake Factory downtown. After that we continued our annual tradition of caramel apple spice drinks from Starbucks as we cruise around looking at lights. This year that had to be cut short since we had a very tired baby. We celebrated my 33rd birthday at my favorite restaurant, Simply Fondue. We let Hannah stay with her grandparents so Mr. B and I could have a date night. Mr. B also made my birthday month special by doing the "12 days of my birthday." The 12 days leading to my birthday I received a gift each day. One of those being a massage. On Christmas Eve we went to Mr. B's parents' house for dinner and fun. We wore our matching pajamas and took funny pictures. Then we celebrated Hannah's first Christmas at home in front of our tree. Later that day we went to Mr. B's uncle's house for dinner with his family.  Later that week, we went to Lubbock to celebrate Christmas with my family. This trip was a bit more challenge since Hannah is very active. Hannah got a homemade biscuit making lesson from her papa and lots of presents. We met my sister's boyfriend (although at the time of this post he is now her fiance!). Hannah also attended Bible class for the first time while in Lubbock. She did great and really enjoyed it. We came back home on New Year's Eve and spent a quiet night at home and went to bed BEFORE midnight. 


That tongue!


Photo booth fun at the Christmas party


Family picture with Santa


Solo SMILING picture with Santa


Hannah's first trip to Sundance Square


The tradition continues as we look at lights


My team knows that I'm the birthday princess the whole month of December


Me and my love headed for my birthday dinner


Every year I choose to have dinner in Sundance Square so we can take these pictures


Matching pajamas for the win


Hannah is questioning her parents' choices


Christmas morning and Hannah with all her loot


Hannah's Christmas outfit


Making biscuits with papa


Enjoying her first Bible class


It seems each month our team finds something goofy to do. Teaching multiplication and division....I'm the Product Princess


Our year didn't exactly start out like we planned, but it ended up turning out way better than we could've dreamed. We welcomed our daughter and finalized her adoption all in the same year. We took several road trips and Hannah met so many friends and family that love her. Looking ahead to 2019 we have some big plans. We'd love to add to our family through adoption once again. We can't wait to make Hannah a big sister. We plan to get that ball rolling over the summer break with hopes of welcoming a baby brother/sister in the early part of 2020. However if this past year has taught us anything, it's that our timing and plans don't even compare to those of God. We will trust in Him and what he has planned for our family. We are ready for you, 2019! Let's make it another fantastic year for the Browning's!




















No comments:

Post a Comment