Thursday, July 25, 2013

Two Weeks of Crazy!!! (part 1)

I know I've been slacking in my weekly posts.....but I have had a busy couple of weeks. From July 10-14, my school sent 5 first grade teachers and 3 second grade math teachers to a national math conference (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics) in New Orleans, LA! I have never been here before but have always wanted to go. We saw and did a lot while we were in the city, as well as attend our conference. We had lots of "play" time outside of the conference. I have several pictures of places we went and things we saw.

Our first night we went to a restaurant called "Cochon's." It was relatively close to our hotel. (Little did we know how precious something like that was) Since there were 8 of us, we decided to all order something a little different and just create sample platters so we could try everything. I've never had authentic Cajun cooking before. Almost everything that went into my mouth was new. I had fried alligator, fried oysters, grits, mac n cheese, twice baked stuffed potato, and craw fish pie. DELICIOUS! We decided to use more of our time to explore since we didn't have to be anywhere until 1:30 the next afternoon. We walked the French Quarter and even visited Bourbon Street. It was an experience. We decided that at midnight we wanted to have Beignets and Cafe au leit at the famous Cafe Du Monde. YUM! Then it was a long walk back to the hotel for some sleep.

 Bourbon Street all lit up on a Wednesday night.
 Tiffany in all her excitement about finally getting her some Cafe Du Monde:)
Our first choice for some NOLA cuisine.

Day 2 my roomie and I decided to take a stroll down Canal street and head to the Central Grocery and get us a nice, big Muffeltta sandwich. I don't like olives, so I had the olive salad left off mine; otherwise, it was delicious. Then we went to the opening session of our conference. A short 3 hours later, we headed to Mother's...another well-known restaurant. I decided I wanted to try ettoufe  for the first time. So I got craw fish ettoufe with cabbage and potato salad. Again, another delicious dish. We did a little more exploring before heading back to the hotel since we had an long early day the next day.
 Hanging out in front of Cafe Beignet.
The beautiful Canal Street. This was really nice to walk up and down.



I tried to eat it all, but I was unsuccessful. I know if doesn't look appetizing. Who cares!? It tasted amazing!!!

Stay tuned for days 3-5 of my NOLA adventure in my next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment